Our Reputation for Excellence
The University of Melbourne is an internationally recognised teaching and research institution with an outstanding reputation. Our commitment to excellence is demonstrated by innovative academic programs and our record as one of Australia’s largest recipients of competitive research funding. With our prestigious international links and reputation, the University is a preferred destination for high quality staff from both Australia and around the world including distinguished teachers and researchers.
Our vision is for the University of Melbourne to be recognised as being a great place to work. Our vision is for a workforce which:
- believes in the value of the work which it undertakes
- has the necessary capability, commitment and versatility to deliver the best outcome for students, fellow staff and the University
- works together toward the achievement of the University’s mission
- is collegial in its outlook and approach and harmonious in its acceptance of the right of all to express their views
- embraces diversity in approaches and styles
- is healthy, both in terms of physical well being and organisational sustainability
Our staff values outline the qualities we admire and continually strive to exhibit as individuals and as an organisation. Our values guide our behaviour, and underpin the way we work.
Our core staff values are:
- a shared sense of purpose where all staff appreciate the intrinsic value of education and research
- a commitment to research and innovation where creativity and excellence in all areas of endeavour are recognised and rewarded
- a love of learning and commitment to personal and professional development
- high standards of ethics and integrity where all staff are open, fair, honest and consistent in their dealings with each other and the broader University community
- the provision of safe and supportive work environments where staff and students are encouraged and empowered to realise their full potential
- the enhancement and sharing of organisational knowledge where individuals willingly promote collaboration and consultation across the University
- tolerance and diversity where individual differences and opinions are respected and valued
Our Guiding Principles
We wish to ensure the University of Melbourne is a great place to work and that all staff have the capability, commitment and versatility to achieve and be recognised for achievement, both now and into the future. Our guiding principles are designed to underpin how we recruit, develop, manage and reward and form a basis for future planning.
- We seek to attract and retain talented people who have the capacity to achieve in the University now, and into the future.
- We develop staff to build capacity for the University to succeed, to ensure professional development and to reward excellent performance across all areas of endeavour.
- Our work environment underscores the importance of collegiality and teamwork and of appreciative and constructive feedback as well as open, effective and timely communication.
- All aspects of staff leadership and management are underpinned by equity, fairness and merit.
- We support staff to create the appropriate balance between their work, aspirations and personal lives.
- We co-operate to maintain an environment safe from physical and emotional harm.
- We deliver exemplary human resources management support and services.