Parents and Carers
The benefits of the family-friendly workplace include:
- high morale and productivity and a positive secure working environment
- reduced employment costs associated with recruitment, training, absenteeism, and workers’ compensation
- the flexibility to re-negotiate work or work hours when an event or life cycle phase occurs requiring a change to different working conditions.
University policies, practices and programs provide for increased flexibility when considering the needs of individuals who are concerned with balancing work and family. Full details of various family-friendly University policies can be obtained from the HR Policy Library.
The University operates two child care centres for the children of staff and students. Waiting List applications and further information from Children’s Services.
The following policies provide a basis for discussion and negotiation when family situations need more flexible work arrangements:
- Fractional and Part-time employment
- Reduced working week year
- Job Sharing
- Home-based Work
- Contract Employment
Leave for family reasons may be under the following policies:
- Leave without Salary
- Indigenous Australian cultural or ceremonial occasions
Other issues to be considered in ensuring that the workplace is fully supportive of employees with family responsibilities:
- Pregnancy and work
- Caring for dependant adults
- Career breaks and maintaining workplace links
- Return to work following leave